The MainVest Investment Vehicle Philosophy
MainVest’s philosophy on investment vehicle structuring consists of these core principles:
- It’s your business, not the banks’: Small business owners know what is best for their business. We believe raising capital should not result in losing control or being beheld to the needs of institutional finance.
- Learn from failure, don’t fear it: Small business owners are already taking enough risk. We believe crowdfunded investments should not be personally guaranteed (i.e. risk losing your house or other assets if your business does not succeed). Investor returns, of course, should reflect this risk.
- An investment is more than just money: Small businesses should have access to investors that care about not just the success, but the mission of your business.
- Build your business, not a bureaucracy: Investments should not add complicated busy-work and resource-heavy burden. MainVest’s goal is to set you up to get capital that works for you, so you can work on building the best business in town.
- Your business is special: MainVest will work with you to help you customize your investment vehicle and tailor its terms to fit your business needs.
When raising capital on MainVest, the entrepreneur has the choice of three different investment vehicle categories depending on his or her needs.